I am so beyond thrilled to have Jill Shalvis stop by today to answer a couple of real quick questions (she is a busy lady 🙂 ) and share the newest in the Cedar Ridge series, Nobody But You.
In the book Jacob’s mom, Carrie, is sick. What was it like writing a character that had dementia?
Having family experience with this, I just wanted to show that not every minute of it is torturous.
Describe what readers can expect from a Jill Shalvis romance in 140 characters.
Hot guys, fun, sexy, humor, hot guys, love, girl power and as it can’t be said enough, more hot guys. 🙂
Finish this sentence: My heroine will never…
Go quietly into the night… 🙂
Cedar Ridge series
by Jill Shalvis
When Jacob was injured in the war, it changed him for life. Now all he wants to do is come home to Cedar Ridge, settle in at his lakeside cabin and get some much-needed peace and quiet. But there’s no peace to be had when he finds a spitfire of a woman camping out on his property. Half the time he’s not sure whether he wants to spank her or kiss–or maybe both. He’s in a dark place and a dark mood, and here’s this wildly hot woman who is also funny and light and may be the balm be needs to soothe his aching soul.
Sophie Marren is pretty much penniless after leaving her abusive husband. She doesn’t have the money to pay rent or the slip fees for docking the boat where she’s been sleeping. She was getting along just perfectly until the good-looking, brooding, I’m-too-sexy-for-myself guy moves into the lake cabin that the slip belongs to. Sure he’s hot as the noon sun with those dark lens and even darker ‘tude, but god forbid she tie herself to another man who’s always telling her what to do. But the more she gets to know Jacob, the more she sees how willing he is to battle for her wounded heart…a battle she might just let him win.
She eyed the bench a long beat but did eventually sit, perching primly as far from him as she could get and yet still be close enough to grab the bottle.
She took the Scotch and drank. Her eyes watered and she coughed as she handed it to him. With a sigh, she leaned back to study the night sky. Her bared throat was slim and creamy smooth. An unexpected temptation. Remembering the flash of pain and vulnerability she’d unwittingly revealed, and that for whatever reason he’d somehow added to it, he spoke. “I’m sorry.”
She glanced at him as if she’d never heard a man apologize before in her life. “For…breathing?” she asked. “Having a penis? What?”
“You were upset because you didn’t know I was a Kincaid.”
She sighed. “That was just me looking for a reason to be mad at you so I wouldn’t…”
She bit her lower lip, clearly not wanting to go on.
But now he had to know. “So you wouldn’t what?”
“Nothing,” she said. “It’s just that I’m trying to make better choices.”
“Of which I wouldn’t be one.”
“It’s not necessarily your fault,” she said. “It’s that you’re a man.”
“Guilty as charged.”
“And I’m off men right now.”
“And on…women?” he asked with admittedly more than a little fascination.
She rolled her eyes. “I’m on no one, but thank you for proving my point on men.”
“I get that,” he said. “But being off men doesn’t seem to be making you very happy, or sound like a whole lot of fun.”
“Maybe I don’t need fun.”
He understood that. He’d felt the same way since Brett died. “What do you need?” he asked, honestly wanting to know more about her.
Instead of answering, she reached for the bottle. He waited until she met his gaze before letting go.
“Nothing,” she said a little too quickly. “Everything’s…perfect.”
“And your glass is half full,” he said. “So you’ve said.”
But he didn’t believe her. “How about a game?”
“I don’t play games.”
Now, that wasn’t exactly true. Whether she knew it or not, she’d been playing with his head since he’d first laid eyes on her. “Three truths and a lie,” he said.
She stared at him. “As in you tell me three truths and a lie, and I pick out the lie?”
She considered this. “What do I get if I win?”
“What do you want?”
For the briefest of beats, her gaze dropped to his mouth.
Oh, hell yeah, he thought. Want me…
“My first boyfriend taught me that game,” she said.
“What did the winner get?”
Definitely still playing with his head… “Is that what you want, Sophie? A kiss?”
Again she stared at his mouth before dropping eye contact and wrapping that eye-stopping pink robe tighter around her body. “Do you?” she asked.
Her gaze flew to his.
“Problem is,” he said conversationally, “if I kissed you, I don’t think I’d be able to stop.”
Her mouth literally fell open. The pulse at the base of her throat jumped. And she seemed to lose her words.
He went on. “But you should know, I don’t lose. That means you’ll have to tell me three truths and a lie.” And he’d hopefully get to know more about her.
She closed her mouth to bite her lower lip in what could’ve been indecision or excitement. Obviously he was hoping for the latter. “But hey, if you’re not sure you can handle losing, we can just forget about it,” he said.
The challenge lifted her chin and put sparks in her eyes. That’s it, babe. Show me what you’ve got.
“Bring it,” she said.
I love Sophie but I still get a little tired of his flip-flopping emotions – luckily Jacob has a lot more patience with her than I do 🙂 Other than that though she’s great. I understand where she’s coming from, with her ex and her family, and it makes her issues believable. I love how saucy she is and how she’s willing to give Jacob heck but still be there for him when he needs it.
I’ve been anxious to get to Jacob’s story, mainly because he’s the unknown Kincaid (although Kenna gives him a run for his money there 🙂 ). Shalvis does a good job of showing his conflicting emotions over his choices and how the past decade without his family, plus everything that he’s seen and done, has impacted him. I love watching him work his way back to a happy place with the rest of the siblings. And I adore his & Hud’s relationship with their mom. It’s both sweet and fun and I love them all together.
Once again Shalvis delivers a winner and I can’t wait to see where she goes next!
New York Times bestselling author Jill Shalvis lives in a small town in the Sierras full of quirky characters. Any resemblance to the quirky characters in her books is, um, mostly coincidental. Look for Jill’s bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold and visit her website for a complete book list and daily blog detailing her city-girl-living-in-the-mountains adventures.
Enter for your chance to win a copy of Nobody But You or, if you’re very lucky, the whole Cedar Ridge series!!!
- Abigail Books Addiction—Review & Giveaway
- Art, Books, & Coffee—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Best Sellers and Best Stellars of Romance—Spotlight & Excerpt
- BJ’s Book Blog—Review & Giveaway
- BookHounds—Review & Giveaway
- Evermore Books—Review & Giveaway
- Fangirl Moments and My Two Cents —Spotlight & Excerpt
- Fic Talk—Review & Giveaway
- Forget the Housework, I’m Reading…—Review & Giveaway
- JenniferVido.com—Spotlight & Excerpt
- LucyLicious Reads—Review & Giveaway
- Manga Maniac Cafe—Q&A
- Mary Gramlich Is Blogging Along With—Spotlight & Excerpt
- My Book Addiction and More—Review & Giveaway, Q&A
- Reads By Rose—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Relentless Romance—Review & Giveaway, Q&A
- Reviews from the Heart—Review & Giveaway
- Romancing Rakes For the Love of Romance—Review & Giveaway
- The Book Hammock—Review & Giveaway
- The Pleasure of Reading Today—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Wild Wordy Women—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Those Crazy Book Chicks—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- BiblioJunkies—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Bookish Devices—Review & Giveaway
- Bridget’s Book Bungalow—Review & Giveaway
- EverAfter Romance—Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- Inner Goddess—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Lightning City Book Reviews—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Reading Between the Wines Book Club—Q&A
- Booklovers For Life—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Books. Lists. Life.—Review & Giveaway, Q&A
- E-Reading After Midnight—Review & Giveaway, Q&A
- Ficwishes—Review & Giveaway, Q&A
- From the TBR Pile—Review & Giveaway, Q&A
- KT Book Reviews—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Long and Short Reviews—Q&A
- mignon mykel : reviews—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- Reading In Sarah’s Corner—Review & Giveaway
- Romantic Reads and Such—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- SNSBAH Promotions & Reviews—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Thoughts of a Blonde—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- TjLovesToRead—Review & Giveaway
- A Bookish Escape—Review & Giveaway
- Okie Dreams Book Review—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- Reading in Pajamas —Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- Smut and Bon Bons—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Sultry, Steamy Reading—Review & Giveaway
- The Sassy Bookster—Review & Giveaway
- A Literary Perusal—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Blogging by Liza—Review & Giveaway
- Romancing the Readers—Review & Giveaway
- The Book Nympho—Review & Giveaway, Q&A
- The Readdicts—Review & Giveaway
- Under the Boardwalk—Review & Giveaway, Q&A
- What I’m Reading—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Wisconsin Cheesehead’s Bookreviews—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- Books and Things Blog—Review & Giveaway
- Majorly Delicious—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Revenge of the Feels—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- The Book Disciple—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Belle’s Book Bag—Review & Giveaway
- Lusty Reads by a Busty Girl—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- Ramblings From This Chick—Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- Romancing Life—Spotlight & Excerpt
- A Bluestocking’s Place—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Always YA at Heart—Review & Giveaway
- Carole’s Random Life—Review & Giveaway
- Life With Two Boys—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Margie’s Must Reads—Review & Giveaway
- On the Wings of Books—Spotlight & Excerpt
- One Book Two—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- That’s What I’m Talking About—Review & Giveaway
- All Romance Reader—Review & Giveaway
- Debbie’s Book Bag—Review & Giveaway
- Kaisy Daisy’s Corner—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Once Upon A Page—Review & Giveaway
- Red’s Romance Reviews—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Reviews by Tammy and Kim—Review & Giveaway
- Romance Reviews Today Blog—Q&A
- The Book Nuts—Review & Giveaway
- Alpha Book Club—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Forever Book Lover—Q&A
- Palmer’s Page Turners—Review & Giveaway
- Romance Addict Book Blog—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- SOS Aloha—Spotlight & Excerpt
- The Geekery Book Review—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Book Babes Unite—Review & Giveaway
- BooksPieAndCoffee—Review & Giveaway
- I Wish I Lived in a Library—Review & Giveaway
- MrsLeif’s Two Fangs About It—Review & Giveaway
- OMGReads—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Paranormal and Romantic Suspense Reviews—Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- The Romance Dish—Review & Giveaway, Q&A
- Total Book Geek—Review & Giveaway
- Wicked Reads—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- About That Story—Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- Becca the Bibliophile—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Caffeinated Book Reviewer—Review & Giveaway
- Community Bookstop—Review & Giveaway
- Ramblings from a Chaotic Mind—Review & Giveaway
- Nose Stuck in a Book—Review & Giveaway, Q&A
- Reviews by Martha’s Bookshelf—Review & Giveaway
- A Brit & A Yank—Spotlight & Excerpt
- A Page of Love—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Herding Cats & Burning Soup—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Kitty’s Book Spot!—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- Southern Yankee Book Reviews—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Alphas Do It Better Book Blog—Review & Giveaway
- Babbling About Books, and More—Spotlight & Excerpt
- Books Are Love—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- JaM Book Blog—Review & Giveaway, Q&A
- Moonlight Rendezvous—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt
- Nice Ladies, Naughty Books—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- Smut Matters—Review & Giveaway
- Taking Time for Mommy—Review & Giveaway
- The Racy Lit Reader—Review & Giveaway, Spotlight & Excerpt, Q&A
- Undeniably Book Nerdy—Review & Giveaway