It’s going to be another fun day because Jamie Wyman, author of Wild Card, has stopped by to introduce us to her new book!
Be they in books, television shows or our favorite movies, we’ve all seen those couples. You know…the ones who bicker and fight and swear they will never have anything to do with the other. The ones we yell at to, “JUST KISS ALREADY!” It’s going to happen, you know it, but they don’t seem to get it. They’re the couple that fits the classic trope of Enemies-to-Lovers.
In my book WILD CARD, Catherine Sharp and Marius are the latest in this honorable tradition. With all their bickering and snarking, they push each other’s buttons to the point of madness. But they also share other moments. Moments of powerful truth. You’re certain that at any moment they might fall into one another and never look back. Cat and Marius are perfect enemies…but it remains to be seen if they’ll survive each other to make it to lovers.
So, to celebrate Cat and Marius joining the world, I am going to share with you my 5 favorite enemies-to-lovers couples.
5. Tristan and Yvaine – Stardust (film version) He wants her—but as a gift to the vapid woman he loves. She’s rather put out by that, as you can imagine, so the two definitely don’t get started on the right foot. But these two characters are rich in detail and their fights shine as much as their love. They’re a couple you’re rooting for from the get go.
4. Ron & Hermione – Harry Potter Who didn’t go to school only to have her hair pulled by the boy sitting behind her in class? And, of course, you were always told, “It’s because he likes you.” Well, with Ron & Hermione, we see that in their first years. They have their squabbles. Ron is like an alien to Hermione. But they know they can count on one another in a jam. Eventually, that misunderstanding fades away and we see two people whose relationship can survive just about anything life has to throw at them.
3. Mal & Inara – Firefly/Serenity This is one of the places where Joss Whedon shines: characters who breathe and live. And with Mal & Inara we have unfinished business. They hinted at it in the series, and in the film Serenity we almost got some hint that these two will finally—FINALLY!—admit that they are ridiculous for one another. But no. Mal and Inara have this delicious tension. As a Companion (courtesan, for those unfamiliar with the show), it is her job to be a master of the sensual. However, Mal just sees her profession as “whoring”. But when lives are on the line, these two pull together because they love one another. We all know it, they just refuse to get on with it and make out already!
2. Kate and Patrucchio – Taming of the Shrew You can’t go wrong with Shakespeare. By proxy I count Kat and Patrick from 10 Things I Hate About You (since it’s directly based on Taming of the Shrew) under this same heading. When these two are played well you will believe that at any moment Kate will have Patrucchio’s throat! And half the time, he deserves what comes to him. And yet, in the end, their fiery passions turn from hate to the other side of the coin.
1. David & Maddie – Moonlighting This is the couple that started it all for me. For those who don’t know, Moonlighting was a tv series back in the 80s. David and Maddie were business partners. In between their heated, door-slamming arguments, they would solve mysteries as private detectives. And yet—with all that sleuthing going on—neither of them could see that they were hot for each other. It took a few seasons, but they eventually caught on. The fireworks continued until the show was eventually cancelled. But I remember these two. It was my first exposure to this crazy bickering, this glorious banter between two evenly-matched wits. Hell, it was the first time I saw Taming of the Shrew! (There’s an episode where they parody it and it’s glorious. Look it up.) David Addison and Maddie Hayes are the great-greatgrand parents of Cat and Marius. To them, many thanks.
And to you, I say thank you as well. Thank you for sharing your blog with me today. I hope you and your readers all have a chance to check out WILD CARD and enjoy the torrential affair that is Marius and Catherine Sharp.
by Jamie Wyman
Release Date: 11/25
Genre: Urban Fantasy
It was bad enough that gods gambled with human souls, but Catherine Sharp’s soul just had to be won by the Greek goddess of Discord, Eris. As if working a dead-end tech support job didn’t suck the life out of her as it was. Now, Cat finds herself performing random tasks for the goddess in her free time.
But when Coyote, the Native American trickster himself, claims to have won her own soul in Mayhem’s weekly poker game, Cat wants in on the action. With five sneaky gods upping the ante, Cat needs to find a way to collect the winning chips that could save her soul.
Marius, a handsome yet irritating satyr with his own debt to Eris, might finally come in handy for something. If they play their cards right and work together, Cat and Marius may just get their freedom back. If they don’t kill each other or fall in love first.
Barnes & Noble Buy Link:http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wild-card-jamie-yman/1117252913
After a misspent adulthood pursuing a Music Education degree, JAMIE WYMAN fostered several interests before discovering that being an author means never having to get out of pajamas. (However, she can eat/spin fire, tell you a lot about auditioning to be a Blue Man, and read/write in Circular Gallifreyan.) As an author, Jamie’s favorite playgrounds are urban fantasy, horror and creepy carnival settings. When she’s not traipsing about with her imaginary friends, she lives in Phoenix with two hobbits and two cats. She is proud to say she has a deeply disturbed following at her blog.
Jamie’s debut novel, WILD CARD, will be coming to an e-reader near you November 2013 thanks to Entangled Publishing. You can also find her short story “The Clever One” in the anthology WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME 2 (Dragon Moon Press, August ’13).
ThinkGeek Gift Card
11/25: Guest blog – Literal Hotties Naughty Book Reviews
11/26: Guest blog – Romantic Reads and Such
11/26: Spotlight – Sizzling Hot Book Reviews
11/27: Interview – Lusty Penguin Reviews
11/28: Interview – A Passion for Romance
11/29: Guest Blog – Bea’s Book Nook
12/3: Interview – You Gotta Read Reviews
12/4: Spotlight – In Shadows
12/5: Spotlight – Becky on Books
12/6: Spotlight – Melissa Stevens
12/9: Interview – Books-n-Kisses
12/10: Spotlight – Must Read Faster
12/11: Spotlight – Book Reviews and More by Kathy
12/12: Interview – Diane’s Book Blog
12/12: Spotlight – Snifferwalk Books
12/13: Spotlight – My Erotic Notions
12/13: Spotlight – Books to Get Lost In